To answer the question ‘ how to use green tea extract for weight loss?’ first we need to find out what it is and what it contains. Green tea derives from Camelia Sinensis leaves. The pure green tea extract contains high antioxidant properties. Essentially, the polyphenols in the extract contain the health benefits for the consumers.
Studies show that green tea’s EGCG causes fat oxidation and lowering of fat absorption of the body. With that said, some research states that the extract may work at its best performance when combined with caffeine.
For the purpose of fat burning, it is best to take green tea extract with caffeine and at in its purest form. If you have more energy (from the caffeine), you tend to spend more by being more active.
The decaffeinate green tea might not be as potent at helping with weight loss as the one with caffeine in that sense. But if your body cannot tolerate the caffeine or if you have high blood pressure, hypertension, or heart problems, it is best to opt for the decaffeinated version of it.
Potent Dosage For Weight Loss
At this point you might be asking, ‘how much green tea extract should I take?’ or what green tea extract dr oz recommends (he doesn’t recommend any specific products by the way). The fact is there is no established recommended dosage of green tea extracts for weight loss. It all depends on the consumers’ lifestyle and preexisting weight that needs to be lost.
According to Tim Ferris, a famous life coach and the author of 4-hour-body weight loss guide, he recommends taking green tea extract pills of 325 milligrams three times a day.
“Human studies have shown some potential fat-loss with as little as a single dose of 150 milligrams of EGCG, but we will target 325 milligrams three to four times per day.”
**(Please note that this is a suggested dosage of body builders or someone who are on an intensive weight loss program)**.
With that said, he also added,
“I suggest decaffeinated green tea extract pills as the source, unless you want to be stuck to the ceiling and feel ill.”
Green Tea Extract Side Effects
Are there any side effects from taking the supplement? Is green tea extract good for you? Well, too much of anything is never good for anybody. Extremely high dosage of green tea extract (over 2000mg/day over a long period of time) can result in kidney or liver damage. So if you have pre-existing issues with liver or kidney, it is best to avoid the supplement without consulting your doctors first.
High dosage of caffeine in the extract can cause jittery or nausea so opt for the supplement with caffeine dosage that is lower than 200mg. Now there are decaffeinated version available as well.
With that said, the suggested dosage of the green tea extract for weight loss is 250mg of the extract per serving with at least 45% of EGCG (aka the good stuff for fat burning effect). It should be taken for a period of 12 weeks to begin to see noticeable results in body fat loss. The results can be faster if you combine it with exercise and a healthy, well-balanced diet plan.
What To Look For In The Supplement?
If you’re looking to buy green tea extract pills from drugstores or online, here are a few things you should look for on the label;
- Choose a reputable brand of green tea extract supplement with GMP certified sign guaranteeing a good manufacturing practice.
- Look at the amount of polyphenols (catechins) contained in the product. As suggested above that a capsule of 125mg of green tea extract with at least 40% of ECGC should be taken three times a day for weight loss effect, based on Tim Ferris’s 4-hour work week, given that the extract is decaffeinated.
- If the supplement contains caffeine, you should make sure not to take more than 200 milligrams of caffeine per day.
- The best option would be to find the product without any additives or fillers like gelatin, gluten, silica, or lactose.
Different Green Tea Extract Pills
Green tea extract reviews by consumers reveal which supplements is the best weight loss pills
Over-the-counter green tea extract reviews
The following are the most searched-for green tea extract weight loss products. We will give you pros and cons of each product, as well as where to buy green tea extract supplements that we mention here;
Spring Valley Green Tea Extract
- The product contains 50% Polyphenols (150Mg),
- Very affordable (US$3-4 per 50 capsules = 15 day supply)
- Does not contain gluten or lactose
- Does contain silica and gelatin
- Does not have GMP verified sign
Our verdict = 3/5 stars
Super Green Tea Extract from Holland & Barrett
- Contains various supporting ingredients such as Guarana, Bladderwrack Extract, chromium, ginger, and vitamin B6
- No additives or fillers guaranteed
- Affordable price (US$ 13-15 for a month supply)
- Contains high dosage of caffeine per the amount of green tea (green tea of 405mg containing 396mg of caffeine)
- While guarana is great for boosting energy, it is not needed for the reason that it already has such high dosage of caffeine
- No indication of the amount of ECGC as the label only shows 405mg of green tea leaf
Our verdict = 2/5
Mega Green Tea Extract from LifeExtension
- 98% green tea extract is standardized to provide high potency EGCG green tea extract (45%)
- You can choose decaffeinated formula or lightly decaffeinated
- Reasonably priced (US$ 15-17 for 100 capsules depending on the vendor)
- Contains some fillers (rice flour, vegetable stearate)
Our verdict = 4/5
Exitor Fat Burner
- High concentration of polyphenols with proportionally low amount of caffeine (200mg of GTC : 99mg of caffeine)
- Contains other scientifically proven supporting ingredients such as Guarana extract, Garcinia Cambogia, Dandalion Root, N-Acetyl & L-Tyrosine. These ingredients not only work to support weight loss, but also help with liver detoxification.
- The company offers 180 day or your money back guarantee
- It is available at affordable prices with promotional packages (buy 4 get 2 free, or buy 3 get 1 free).
- It contains rice powder, though, at minimal amount.
- It can only bough from its online store.
Our verdict = 4/5
** Recommended** ProShape Rx Pills
- You get high-ECGC green tea extract that supposedly works best
- The supporting ingredients are known to maximize fat burning and weight loss effects
- Supported by reliable medical community
- Reasonable price
- 67 days money back guarantee
- Free shipping for 6-month supplies
- Secure payment system – your credit card info is kept safer than when shopping at your local grocery stores
- Only available on their online store
- If you look for decaffeinated green tea extract this might not be it